Join master noodle maker Khongsi, as she soaks, grinds, steams, ferments, pounds, rice transforming it into a traditional dish, Khao Poon. Khao Poon, a traditional Lao dish, is a thin rice noodle, that is fermented so has to be eaten fresh on the day it is made. Often eaten with very simple vegetables and sauce, it is also eaten with a delicious coconut curry sauce, and as well eaten wrapped in leaves with other herbs and sometimes bbq meats. Sometimes you will have it as a side with your papaya salad.
This is an authentic half-day experience on Lee’s organic farm in Ban Thinsom, about 20 minutes outside Luang Prabang. The tour includes hotel transfers to and from Ban Thinsom, an English-speaking guide on the farm, picking of organic vegetables, learning about Lao farm life all while helping prepare the khao poon noodles, and of course, eating them.
- Advance bookings are essential
- Classes are available for a minimum of two people only
- 2 persons - US$ 47.00 each
- 3-4 persons - US$ 44.00 each
- 5+ persons - US$ 40.00 each
- Hotel transfers
- Farm tour
- Learning about Khao Poon and eating it for lunch
- Taught by Khongsi, the noodle master to make your own Khao Poon, a traditional Lao dish with fresh organic vegetables
- Authentic cooking experience in a local organic farm
- Learn about Lao farm life and enjoy your DIY Khao Poon